Frequently Asked Questions About Rentec Software
- Once I setup an account, can I reach somebody if I have any questions?
- Why is this an online application and not a program that runs on my computer?
- How do I signup?
- Is my data safe on your servers? Can I back it up?
- How come Rentec Basic is free?
- How do I signup for the free version?
- What is the difference between Basic, PRO, and PM?
Not only are we easily reachable, but Rentec Direct is the only major property management software that has a 100% US-based staff. All of our staff are located in Grants Pass, OR and are standing by to help. Our support staff are also all previous property managers and/or landlords, so not only does our support department understand the software, but they understand your business as well. You can't find this level of support anywhere else, we promise!
Simple, an online application can be accessed from anywhere in the world at any time while a standalone application can only be accessed from the single computer it's installed on. By being an online property management software application, you, or any of your employees or business partners can at any time from their own location login to view the status of properties and tenants. Additionally, standalone property management applications only come up with updates periodically, usually less than once per year. With an online application, when our developers enhance something it is available instantly to everyone without having to buy a new version of the software. Also, one major issue with standalone applications is that they store the data locally. This means if your computer crashes, you lose all your data which can be absolutely vital to your business. With an online application the data is automatically backed up and worst case if your workstation crashed, you could get a new one or use a different one and still login to the Rentec site and all your data remains intact.
Visit our products page and click 'Signup Now' or click the 'Sign up' button in the upper-right of any page. We'll instantly setup a property management software account for you. During the signup process we do collect a credit card; however, because we offer a free trial we do not bill it unless you keep the account open past the trial period. We collect the card to verify you are a real person and to improve the security of the system. Once you are signed up, you can immediately delete the card from the system if you like and you can cancel, upgrade, or downgrade your account at any time.
The short answer is Yes and Yes. Statistically your data is far safer being housed on our secure servers than it would be on any workstation. Rentec Direct runs on high reliability servers, while applications that run on your local workstation are much more susceptible to data loss and intrusion by hackers. There are many reasons for this.
- Our servers are routinely and randomly scanned and certified by a third party security vendors to ensure they are safe from both hackers and virus's.
- Our servers are frequently backed up. On top of the many layers of redundancy we incorporate to ensure 100% uptime, we also backup frequently both on-site as well as off-site to ensure maximum reliability in the event of a catastrophic failure.
- We use high-reliability enterprise grade hardware and software. Enterprise grade hardware and software provide a higher level of reliability than typical workstation class hardware. This keeps our systems online and running error free. We have historically maintained greater than 99.9999% uptime reliability; that's less than 31.5 seconds per year of downtime, an industry best.
- Our servers use advanced bank-grade encryption to protect your property management data. In most cases, our encryptiong exceeds banking specifications.
- We utilize two-factor authentication to verify the identity of every connection. This means that even if somebody guessed your password, they still won't be able to gain access. Rentec Direct is the only property management software solution providing this layer of security.
In contrast, when you run an application on your workstation you run the following risks.
You do not have the following risks when using Rentec Direct.
- Malicious software such as virus's and other malware are written for workstations. Thousands of computers every minute are infected with virus's without their owners ever knowing about it causing all their local data to be accessible to a nefarious 3rd party.
- Workstation backups are often incomplete, or do not exist at all. A small user error, or a hardware failure can cause a complete loss of data if it is not backed up elsewhere. Hard drives crash all the time taking all their owner's precious data with them.
- Workstation class hardware is inferior to enterprise grade hardware. PCs and Mac's die all the time causing loss of data and interruption of work. Rentec is online, therefore if your PC ever crashes, your back online and working with your data as quickly as you can scoot over to a different PC.
- Typical workstations do not encrypt the data stored on them, so the data is easily visible to hackers who may connect in remotely or physically to your machine.
With Rentec Direct, you can also backup your data anytime. All your tenant, property, and bank account ledgers can be downloaded with a single click of your mouse.
Our focus at Rentec Direct is to make landlord's lives simpler, and therefore we offer the basic accounting funcationality free of charge to landlords managing 10 or fewer properties. We've offered a free version of the software since 2007 and plan to continue doing so indefinitely. Rentec Basic is light years ahead of using a spreadsheet to keep track of rentals, so our reward is knowing that there's now thousands of landlords keeping better records than ever before by using our free software. Someday maybe you'll grow into some of the features offered in Pro, or maybe not, we're pleased to help out either way.
We are pleased to offer a completely free version of Rentec Direct for landlords or property management firms managing less than 10 properties. We also offer a full 30-day free trial of Rentec Pro that landlords are welcome to try out, and you can then downgrade to the free version any time within that 30 day period. To do this just visit our signup page. To skip the 30-day trial of Pro and just signup for Rentec Basic, visit our Rentec Basic product page, and click any of the Signup links. A credit card is still required for signup; however, it will not be charged unless you upgrade to Pro or use any other services such as tenant screening.
Rentec Basic is the free edition of our property management software. It is available to landlords and property managers with less than 10 properties and it is complete free, no strings attached. Rentec PRO is the upgraded version which includes additional features, benefits, and discounts and is designed for professional landlords. Rentec Pro includes a tenant portal so tenants can login to view their account, pay their rent, or report maintenance issues. Rentec PM is even more feature rich and includes support for property managers to do trust accounting and track owner accounting. Rentec PM also includes an owner portal so owners can login to view their accounts. To see a complete listing of features, please click here or to view a side by side comparison of features, click here.
If you have a question that is not answered here, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your question and we will get back to you promptly.